Sunday 30 November 2014

Mapplethorpe Studio Work Diary

Evaluation:

The location shots allowed me to be warmed towards the styles Mapplethorpe has when I took photographs in the studio. Therefore I found that my studio shots were a lot more professional looking. In this photograph, it is evident that I spent more time than usual editing, for I have merged two half-face pictures together to form a whole face. I think this is the sort of thing Mapplethorpe would have done, so I am including it in my work diary.












Also, I used various backgrounds whilst taking photographs of half of her face, and even though the photos are in black and white, the difference in colour is evident through tone. As tone is one of the formal elements, I am happy with the way this photograph turned out compared to the other photographs.



Progression:

If I were to continue taking studio shots based on Robert Mapplethorpe's work, I would definitely try to get more photographs taken, and try and include more of the formal elements, such as form, colour and contrast, as well as keeping the original style of Mapplethorpe. An example of somebody's work that has included colour, yet they have still managed to capture the style Mapplethorpe possessed is Keir's photograph of Katy. This, in my opinion, shows the emotions Mapplethorpe was able to convey through his work, and is overall a very good photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment