Sunday 30 November 2014

Mapplethorpe Location Work Diary

Evaluation:

After doing research and watching videos about Robert Mapplethorpe's work, I admit that I was slightly apprehensive to try and recreate his work simply because of the uniqueness it held. However, I still tried to capture what Mapplethorpe had once captured to the best of my ability, and surprisingly, the results came out a lot more professional and generally better looking than I had pre-determined. This photograph shows a side angle of Keir, but not all of him. This feeling of incompleteness was inspired by Mapplethorpe's work, which is why I thought it was a good example from my shoot.


The second photograph that I think connected to the style Mapplethorpe possessed was of Katy. This photograph, yet again, added feelings of incompleteness, due to half her face being off frame. This is one of my favourite photographs of the shoot, simply because I believe it reflects what message Mapplethorpe was trying to give in his portraits containing only some parts of someone's body or face. Tone is an example of a formal element used here, and was commonly used within Robert Mapplethorpe's work as well.



Progression;

A lot of my photographs were of the full face of my peers, which didn't seem to be inspired from Mapplethorpe's work. If I went out to capture Mapplethorpe again, I would definitely take more photographs similar to the ones above. An example of this type of work would be from Ellie, who has managed to capture such a style, which is shown below. Other than that, I had no regrets, and very much enjoyed the session. 


No comments:

Post a Comment