Tuesday 18 November 2014

Connecting Essay 1


Picture I Have Found:


I found this photograph by searching 'red berries' on google images. Like the search would suggest, this picture shows a bunch of vibrantly red berries. I think this photograph is good for showing the formal elements of colour, pattern and shape. It shows colour due to the vibrant redness of the berries, which are at the centre of the photograph, and it has a natural green background due to the leaves on the tree that the berries are growing on. The picture shows pattern through the repetitive shape of the red berries. It also shows shape through the spherical form of the red berries, and when all grouped together, creating some odd shape overall.


Picture I Have Taken:



I took this photograph within the first few weeks of beginning the photography course, and has always been one of my favourites due to the vibrancy of the red berries and the fact you can
see the leaves clearly in the background, showing that these berries are still part of a tree and still growing, having not been picked. This photograph shows the formal elements of colour, pattern, shape, texture and, at close observation, lines. Colour, pattern and shape are all found within the red berries, due to their redness, their repetitiveness and their spherical form, but texture is also evident within the photograph on the leaves. You can see, due to the clear quality of the photograph, that these leaves have quite a bumpy, rough texture, whereas the berries have a smooth, shiny, maybe wet texture. Aside from the ordinary lines within the leaves, there is only one line that stands out, and that is the bright yellow line that separates the brown part of the leaf on the right to the green part.


Similarities:

Both these pictures are very similar in their formal elements, and basically what the picture is actually of. The formal elements used in both of them are colour, pattern and shape, for they both contain the red berries grouped together on the branch of a tree. Not to appear big headed, but I actually prefer my photograph out of the two, due to the fact that you can see the leaves clearly in mine, the red berries have a nicer shade of red, and there are two more formal elements in my photograph than in the other one. These extra two formal elements are texture and lines. I described above their role in the photograph, which I find are quite important roles. Overall, both pictures are very similar to each other, but my photograph apparently shows more detail than the photograph I found on the internet, but that may be just due to my editing.



No comments:

Post a Comment